Please share our website
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

In this article I will briefly introduce the most popular red varieties grown in South Africa.

In the past decade there has been somewhat of a renaissance in the South African wine industry, with many new plantings and a new generation of enthusiastic winemakers producing wines which are winning international accolades.

Because of this international demand, the production of red wine has increased dramatically in recent years to 45% of the national output, with white wine varieties accounting for the remaining 55%.

Cabernet Sauvignon

This noble grape is grown in almost all the regions of the Cape but most extensively in Stellenbosch and Paarl. It has become the most widely planted red variety and accounts for over a quarter of the acreage of all the red wine grapes in the country.

Merlot

Traditionally blended with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot is now increasingly bottled on its own. This fruity, rich variety is found in Stellenbosch, Paarl and Worcester as well as along the West Coast.

Pinotage

Pinotage is a cross between Pinot Noir and Hermitage (Cinsaut) and is unique to South Africa. It is reknown worldwide for the distinctively rich and spicy wines it  produces.

Pinot Noir

Although not grown extensively in South Africa, some outstanding wines have been  produced, particularly in the cooler Walker Bay and Elgin  areas.

Shiraz

This grape is ideally suited to the Cape where  intense smoky and spicy wines are being produced. Almost 20% of red wine vineyards are are given over to Shiraz.

Other red wine varieties

Cinsaut is widely planted and used mainly for blending. Cabernet Franc,  Mourvèdre, Malbec, Grenache and Petit Verdot are  more recent introductions with small plantings at the moment.

In the next article, I will take a look at the most popular white wine varieties.

 

See also:

South African White Wines

South African Wine Info


Please share our website
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Comments are closed.